2008-10-12

And then there were 28…

When I left elementary school, I lost contact with my class mates, mostly without any regrets.

I was invited to a class reunion several years ago, but I couldn't attend, as I would be talking at a conference abroad at the same time. Still, I called the organiser and sent my greetings and I also asked whether a certain girl would be attending. (She never was my girlfriend, I didn't even think of it as an option at the time.)
“Err, she…she is no more.” Oh. Without asking for the cause of death I still wasn't very surprised.

Yesterday, the morning paper carried the death notice of a then-friend of mine (who was her boyfriend), torn from wife and children at an early age.

The countdown has begun.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eek! The Big Countdown. Not a fuzzy thought, is it?

kai said...

Well, I have resigned to the fact that I will never have time to do everything I plan and become everything I wish before I die, so I don't worry about dying, even should it happen to be soon.

Pain and degradation on the other hand, I'm not looking forward to, so I think my class mates got off easy, if their deaths were as sudden as I have presumed.

Anonymous said...

så var det bara en, två, tre, fyra, fem, sex, sju, åtta, nio, tio, elva, tolv, tretton, fjorton, femton, sexton, sjutton, arton, nitton, tjugo, tjugoen, tjugotvå, tjugotre, tjugofyra, tjugofem, tjugosex, tjugosju, tjugoåtta fåglar kvar

Anonymous said...

det började redan dagen vi föddes...

kai said...

Jo, men nu har jag förstått att det där suset i öronen man hör mitt i natten är sanden i timglaset.

Christina said...

hmm. jag trodde det var spelningen i onsdags...