2007-02-28

Song meme

A tag from Thnidu: Find five songs whose titles begin with “K” and put them on your blog. I have gracious permission to stray from English lyrics (not that I hadn't intended to anyway :-). On the other hand I will supply translations (not singable ones, however, that's for another day).



Kaikki häipyy, on vain nyt
Eppu Normaali

Lapsuuteni kesät sumuun vajonneet,
palasiksi muistojeni läjään hajonneet.
Palapelin kokosin paksuin rukkasin,
ihmetellen minne kaikki palat hukkasin.
En unta saanut ja näin… jäin miettimään…

Kaiken minkä muistan aika kutistaa,
mä sitä pelkään, sua tahdon rutistaa.
Kuullut olen ikuisuuteen kaiken piirtyvän,
ja kaiken suhteen, kaiken siirtyvän.

Niinkuin kuuluu asiaan kaikki tähdet,
kuu ja kaikki muu, aikakin.
Niin myös aikanaan sinä lähdet,
pois häipyy taikakin,
siksi rakastan sua nyt.

Oli mielessäni elämäni kuolemattomuus,
puun takaa mulle nauroi ikuisuus.
Ei huomista, ei eilistä,
vain tämän hetken voi nähdä peilistä.

Niinkuin kuuluu asiaan…

Valovuosiensa takaa tähdet vilkkuen,
unelmille ihmisen hiljaa ilkkuen.
Tiedänhän että pieni oon,
kun siltä tuntuu mahdun hyvin kainaloon.

Niinkuin kuuluu asiaan…

Aamu sarastaa,
öiset hetket varastaa,
meidät valo hukuttaa,
meidät nukuttaa…

The summers of my childhood have foundered in fog,
my memories broken into pieces in a pile.
I assembled the puzzle with mittens,
wondering where I'd dropped the pieces.
I couldn't sleep…so I stayed up thinking…

Everything I remember is diminished by time,
I fear that and want to hold you.
I have belonged to all eternity,
and all relations, everything moving.

As must be, all stars,
the moon and everything else, even time.
Like them you will leave,
even magic will disappear, that's why I love you now.

I had in mind my immortality,
eternity laughed at me behind a tree.
No tomorrow, no yesterday,
just this moment in the mirror.

As it must be.

Winking stars lightyears away,
silently mocking human dreams.
I know I am little,
feeling like that I fit in your armpit.

As it must be.

Dawn rises,
steals the moments of night,
light drowns us,
puts us to sleep…


Eppu Normaali (“Abby Normal”) started out as a punk band in the 1970s, but have now mellowed considerably. Their lyrics on the other hand have always been playful, creatively rhymed and often satirising contemporary Finland.



Kaipaan kahta sanaa
Toivo Kärki

Paljon pyytää, paljon kaipaa ihminen, tiedän hyvin sen.
Saavuit kerran niinkuin uni kauniimman. Miksi saavuitkaan?
Mutta tuskin itse arvanneet miksi mua ymmärtänyt et.

En soimaa enkä kiitä kun lähdit sinä pois.
Ei tuhat sanaa riitä jos kaksi tarpeen ois.
Tuhat sanaa kuulla sain, kahta sanaa kaipaan vain.
Sä lausunut et niitä, et sanonut "Sua rakastan".

Katseesi toi mieleen helikuutamon – kylmä sekin on.
Silmiesi loisto niinkuin timantit, turhaan odotin.

Kauniit kylmät sanat multa ei, siksi tieni pois sun luotas' vei.

En soimaa enkä kiitä kun lähdit sinä pois.
Ei tuhat sanaa riitä jos kaksi tarpeen ois.
Tuhat sanaa kuulla sain, kahta sanaa kaipaan vain.
Sä lausunut et niitä, et sanonut "Sua rakastan".

Man asks for much and longs for much, that I know well.
You came like the most beautiful dream. Why did you come?
But you did not understand why you did not understand me.

I don't blame you, I don't thank you for leaving.
A thousand words are not enough when two are needed.
I was told a thousand words, I just want two.
You never spoke them, you didn't say "[I] love you".

Your gaze is like the full moon, just as cold.
Your eyes shine like diamonds, and I waited in vain.

No beautiful cold words from me, that's why I left you.

I don't blame you…


The late Toivo Kärki is one of the foremost Finnish tango composers. Note that since Finnish is a “pro-drop” language, it only takes two words to say “I love you”.



Karin hos mig
THS datatekniksektion

Jag blev kär i Karin idag, hon sprider värme och välbehag.
Det låter väldigt underligt, hon är inte någon tjej.

Hon kan hålla i en telefon, hon har en syster en halvmeter ifrån.
Syrran är inte lika bra, men med övning ger det sig.

Åh, jag måste ha retat brudarna när jag föll för dig!
För ända sen den dag de for, har jag Karin kvar hos mig.
Karin Knytnäve gör mig lycklig, hon är het och trång!

Och sen min flicka försvann har Karin och jag hålligång.
Åh, jag minns hur det brukar va', man jagar flickor varje da'
och i sängkammar'n vi gjorde vad andra människor gör
men Karin hon är bra och trogen tills jag dör.
Hon blir bara bättre…

Flickor har jag nästan glömt bort
för mot Karin står de sig kort.
För ända sen den dag de for, har jag Karin kvar hos mig.
Åh, jag måste ha retat brudarna när jag föll för dig!
För ända sen den dag de for, har jag Karin kvar hos mig.

Det låter väldigt underligt, men jag behöver ingen tjej.
Och mer lär det bli
när jag på syrran har fått pli,
för från den dagen min bror
har jag båda kvar hos mig.

I fell in love with Rosie today. She gives me warmth and pleasure.
It sounds very strange, she is not a girl.

She can hold a phone and has a sister half a metre away.
The sis isn't quite as good, but practice makes perfect.

Oh, I must have annoyed the girls when I fell for you!
For since they left I have Rosie still with me.
Rosie Palm makes me happy, she is hot and tight!

Since my girl left me, Rosie and I have kept at it.
Oh, I remember how it is, you chase girls every day
and then you do like other people in the bedroom.
But Rosie is good and is faithful to my death.
She keeps getting better…

I have almost forgotten about girls,
they can't stand up to Rosie.
For since they left I have Rosie still with me.
Oh, I must have annoyed the girls when I fell for you!
For since they left I have Rosie still with me.

It sounds very strange, but I don't need a girl.
And it will get better once I get her sister in shape,
for then, bro, I'll have both with me.


Ahem, a song from the traditional December 1st Singing contest (Sångartäflan) among the students at the Royal Institute of Technology.



Kathy's Song
Paul Simon

I hear the drizzle of the rain
Like a memory it falls
Soft and warm continuing
Tapping on my roof and walls

And from the shelter of my mind
Through the window of my eyes
I gaze beyond the rain-drenched streets
To England where my heart lies

My mind's distracted and diffused
My thoughts are many miles away
They lie with you when you're asleep
And kiss you when you start your day

And a song I was writing is left undone
I don't know why I spend my time
Writing songs I can't believe
With words that tear and strain to rhyme

And so you see I have come to doubt
All that I once held as true
I stand alone without beliefs
The only truth I know is you

And as I watch the drops of rain
Weave their weary paths and die
I know that I am like the rain
There but for the grace of you go I

Well, I don't really need to say anything more here, do I?



Kom och killa mej på ryggen
Robert Broberg

Kom och killa mej på ryggen
det är så underbart
när du killar mej på ryggen
åh, så rart vi har´t
Dina fingertoppar – toppar allt!
När du killa mej på – vadå?
När du killar mej på
Måndag, Tisdag, Onsdag, Torsdag,
Fredag, Lördag, Söndag
hela veckan lång!

när dina fingrar, fingrar, fingrar
fingrar på min kropp
är det mer än håret i nacken
som reser sej opp!

Kom och killa mej på ryggen

Come scratch my back,
it's so wonderful
when you scratch my back,
we have a good time.

Your fingertips beat everything
when you beat my—what?
When you scratch me Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday,
Friday, Saturday, Sunday,
all week long!

When your fingers finger finger
finger me
you make more than my neckhair rise!

Come scratch my back!


Robert Broberg, actor, painter, musician, word trickster. It's hopeless to translate his triple entendres…

No comments: